An alert public can play a role in keeping our communities safe. Know your surroundings and be aware when in public. Report any questionable activities or items to the local authorities.
How can you determine questionable activities or items? You know your surroundings better than anyone, and no else can spot something odd or out of place better than you. You are encouraged to report questionable objects or behavior that could be indicative of terrorism to your local police.
What to Look for and How to Report It
How to Identify Indicators
The following are a few examples to help you identify a questionable object or behavior:
- An unattended bag, briefcase or box in a public venue
- Someone drawing or measuring important buildings
- Strangers asking questions about security or building security procedures
- Cars or trucks left in No Parking Zones in front of important buildings or venues
- Unusual smells or smoke that worries you
- The purchase of supplies or equipment that can be used to make bombs or weapons
How To Report It
- Reporting to the authorities is simple.
First find your local police department by clicking here. Then follow these steps:
- Give specific details about what you saw and when it occurred
- Give the exact location of where the activity occurred
- For imminent threats, always call 9-1-1
- DO NOT take direct action, confront anyone, reveal your suspicions or touch an object. Just contact the authorities.